Thursday, June 25, 2020

Name Matters


“What’s in a name” heard somewhere yes, you guessed right famous lines from Romeo and Juliet. But I encountered problems several times due to my name.  Ok let me tell you my story of my name and the problems I face quite regularly.

I studied in Telugu medium we never used to bother check the name written on certificate my name is Arun Kumar in Telugu (అరుణ్  - AruN) if you write (అరుణ - AruNa) gender changes. I studied in an all boys’ school. I do not know why no one bothered to check. Those days no one used to bother to check certificates only during verification they checked meticulously. Anyway, the point is with one letter the gender changes. When I received my SSC certificate (Most of the time every subsequent certificate or document will be based on the details of a person is mentioned on this certificate) I was told to use the details written on the SSC certificate. First time I checked the document in English it was written as Aruna Kumar. As I am known as Arun never encountered problems. So, I never bothered about that. Later during my university days, a friend of mine changed his name and suggested it to me. I ignored the suggestion just for the sake of one letter who will go through the lengthy process. I only realized that later when I started applying to jobs. During one interview they checked certificates and the person who checked, looked at me suspiciously when he checked my name and kept on looking at me, then thought this guy is going to call the police for impersonation and told him the story behind my name. I used to (I am talking of the days when Telegram (not messenger app) of postal department (which is no longer in use) or letter addressed as Ms. Aruna Kumar. Very embarrassing moment during one interview, I was asked to wait till my turn and the receptionist kept on announcing Ms. Aruna Kumar, somehow, I realized after 3rd time and went and mentioned her. I try sometimes act smart and type Mr. G. Aruna Kumar even then got mail to Ms. Aruna. I keep typing Mr. G. Aruna Kumar, I am an optimist you see. 

No comments: