Sunday, April 10, 2016

Reflection Journal - Coursera - "What future for education?"

Reflections on the Coursera Week 2 


Due to the internet, explosion of information reaching without any hindrance (except - internet access, speed of the connection) and the teachers, educators sharing their views in the blogs, forums, the professional development need that is given importance both public, private organisations and the result of which the  active participation of those who are involved in the education is much better (to my understanding) when compared to the education during my days. "Intelligence"been tested using the way one fares in the exam or the way one impresses during the classroom by way of interrupting (balanced) the classroom by posing questions, without   irritating the teacher. As I was quiet in the class and used to feel exam as a burden only to get enough marks to move to next grade always made me a mediocre students in the eyes of teachers. The questions regarding as to what next? or the reason I am taught a particular subject the need for the same in my life? never answered, the curiosity is treated as ignorance and hence I kept quiet, this also made me branded as arrogant kid.


What I found in the course interesting the questions that need to be asked in the class, the feedback that need to be given and also using progression as criteria while teaching. I feel all the points that are raised in the course I don't remember happening. Most importantly why subjects are taught were not discussed at all. Most of the time it is the syllabus to be completed that is given importance. What kind of skills are important that helps in the long term are most of the time not focused. Even the opportunities that a child need to be given in learning environment are most of the time neglected.


What I learnt and the knowledge level I possessed is not the criteria while assessing the intelligence. What most of the time is given importance is the answers that I wrote in the paper is given importance. To know what I am capable of the questions that were posed didn't give me any clue as to the importance of the questions and what they mean or why they are posed. Hence I was treated as mediocre, arrogant kid (But my parents always used to feel that I am not using my capabilities to maximum levels - but due to the "teacher" knows all environment prevailed probably this made them to stop talking about the same - but at home they used to talk to me about my abilities in fact I got good score during my middle school days which made them to think positively about my abilities).


I feel always that I am a learner - due to the fact that learning is never ending process, I am curious and take the feedback in right spirit - though most of the time as mentioned in the course the feedback never was in terms of facts, based on the evidence which used to made me neglect the feedback. Even progression aspect of the learning/teaching I didn't see happening. The course helped me in understanding the "learner" meaning and the aspects that are dealt in the course made feel that I am a learner.

No comments: