Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Initiative

 “Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we gathered here to appreciate the initiative taken by three students, both in making children enjoy reading and also learn skills regarding using library. They also helped in making the parents understand the necessity of reading and also in promoting awareness in the community  that they are living. The school is honoring the two siblings, now I call up on Pari and Abhi and Rea as everyone fondly call them to the dais. I request the chief guest to honor the siblings with the appreciation letter and also the gifts that are given by various NGOs to support their cause.
As the claps started ringing in my ears I looked towards my brother and Rea to take initiative to walk towards dais. I could see smiling faces everywhere and tears in my parent’s eyes obviously from joy due to our work.
After collecting the certificates and gifts as slowly the crowd started melting away towards the exit point. “Oh no not again” I mumbled, as I saw a microphone coming towards me in the crowd. I relaxed after watching the person who is holding the microphone, Shruti my school magazine editor, my neighbor and my brother’s classmate as well. “Hi, I am making a video of your efforts and posting it on school blog and also printing your interview in the school magazine” said Shruti. Though she is aware of the story, I thought I will share the story so that others do get chance to do what they like. “Shall I start from the beginning” I asked Shruti while started going back to the days ….
 “Pari, I don’t see your project on my table, is there any valid reason for that” I heard Ms. Niraja asking as usual.
“Mam I had to verify certain data that I have included in my project so I didn’t’ submit” I replied
“Then I am giving post lunch session time, I need you to work and submit before you leave the school is it ok?” enquired Ms. Niraja
“I am sure I will finish mam, thank you very much”
“If your work is going to be really good then you will get good points otherwise, I will have to deduct points for submitting late” Ms. Niraja with warning tone.
I started moving towards library after nodding quietly. I started getting worried about my fate in the library. I saw the predictable grumbling face as I entered library. We got new librarian this year, I always saw him serious not a smile in 3 months. After taking permission I sat down with my notes in one corner thinking about my project. I was hesitant to ask librarian for help, thought first look into my data and check internet if I need help, as usual Google hai naa.
Suddenly I heard giggles, I raised my head to see the grade 2 kids running and giggling loudly. I thought for a minute to raise my voice to shoo them, but had to control myself as I saw librarian moving towards the kids. I know I don’t need to waste my energy. I am surprised to see librarian smiling and gently talking to them to behave, while showing me and telling the juniors not to disturb as I am doing my project. Surprised? Does he have magical ears to listen my mind? Later he took books from the collection and showed them to juniors I saw the books – “The Girl who hated books”, “Librarian on Roof top” and “The Librarian from the Black Lagoon”. Now I stopped looking into my data and paid attention to what librarian is doing. Bell rang and the juniors walked out of the library with more giggles than they entered.  Next came seniors, I started wondering his next move? Surely no senior class likes to listen to kids stories. After pleasantries he started talking about the CBSE circular regarding vocational courses in CBSE schools. He started explaining why CBSE is introducing these courses and why one should try and opt these courses. Later he spoke about the course Library Management (in 2013 the course is redesigned as "Library and Information Resource Management" - LIRM).
I started wondering about the new courses particularly Library Management do one need to study several days to know about library. I came out of my thoughts as I heard the shrilling of bell ending the class. I am clueless about the data in front of me. I could sense someone was watching me closely, before I could realize what’s happening I saw librarian in front of me.  “Do you mind if I disturb you?” I heard librarian asking, what kind of question is this I felt you already disturbed me. “I am sensing you have problem with your work do you mind if I take a look at your work” I am not sure what happened to me, without saying a word I moved my notes towards him. I felt what do you know about my work? I am sure you will raise your hands up the minute you see my work. 
After going through my notes he raised his head and said “your work is good” then what seems to be the problem. I don’t know what happened to me I started explaining my doubts without hesitation. “Mmm, good that you have pointed out, you have point, nonetheless that can be sorted out” he said going ahead with his talking “when do you need to submit your work”, “tomorrow” with low voice I replied. “Do you think it helps if I speak to your teacher” he started walking towards exit without waiting for my reply. “He is going to put me in to trouble” I felt as I started running after him.
After reaching staff room he enquired about my teacher. Ms. Niraja gave a look at me as if I have brought recommendation to postpone my submission of report. After greeting Ms. Niraja, librarian started talking about my project for 10 minutes silence remained in the area except librarian’s words. I couldn’t believe he read the project and found out various points that are really worth pointing out at such a small amount of time at his disposal. Finally Ms. Niraja asked “what's the solution?” “I think if she can spend a day with the data she can really make a good project, only she needs to make certain changes to the present draft” he said while showing the point to Ms. Niraja, “I think it’s worth spending that much time on this work” Finally Ms. Niraja nodded giving her consent “but on one condition” she reiterated her condition that she made clear to me in the morning. “Do I have a choice” thought while saying “ok mam “. By the time I turned my head to thank I didn’t see him here, strange man I said to myself aloud, moving towards school bus as its time to go home.
As usual the topic of discussion at dinner was how was your day at school? Due to both parents schedule we hardly get time to discuss so our routine of meeting and discussing various issues starts with dinner. I took over today’s discussion by talking endlessly about my project and librarian’s role in getting time to complete my project. I could sense my brothers grumbling feelings for   not giving time for him, call at the door from Rea my neighbor made me to get up from table and my brother started his speech. By the time I retired to bed I felt the tiredness of the day.
As usual the day started with the day’s chores, getting ready for school and school bus already waiting to move and my brother started yelling at me for my delay finally I got into bus reached school. Ms. Niraja in the first class sanctioned time to spend the day in library to finish my project with the condition that I need to complete my unfinished work by Monday morning. I rushed to library after thanking Ms. Niraja. Librarian gave me points saying I need to work on my own but he will suggest where I need to make changes.
Librarian suggested changes and I had to sit all the day and work on those changes. When the draft is done I was happy to see my project in a very good shape. By the time I finished final copy it was time to pack up for the day. Evening birthday party of Rea whole apartment community gathered to celebrate as we generally do for all the celebrations, I could unwind my project tension that I went through whole day.   Now my unfinished work due to getting extra time for project, made me slog weekend and I had to skip my gossip session with other girls to Monday during bus journey to school Rea quickly gave me updates that I missed.
As usual Mondays starts the busy week. Mock tests, preparations for school day excursions, competitions etc., home work   and finally completing syllabus, makes everyone busy in the school, I am not sure how time flies, all these thoughts made me sit quietly till Rea gave me tap on my shoulder before saying “hello Einstein time to get down otherwise conductor gives one more lecture spare me from that”.  Finally we started moving quickly so as to attend assembly, where we need to catch-up with the announcements.
As the day progressed I had no time to think on anything finally the last class in the timetable made me pay attention that was library class. Now with the project in my mind I was curious as to how the class is going to be. As usual we started picking up books and by the time I went to checkout my book, then I realized I didn’t get time to thank him. Finally I gathered courage I thanked him for helping me in the project. He said, “It’s my job to help and I am trained to do so, I will be glad to help users who want to do better job, anyone can approach me any time and I am happy that I could help you”. Later he asked everyone to gather to make announcements and he spoke at length about the librarian’s job and how he can help people in finding information and also to enjoy reading what they enjoy most and at the same time to enjoy life rather than only reading as everything is part of life. May be for the first time I heard a librarian saying to enjoy life. Later he started asking each one about our general habits, reading habits etc., and started talking about good books for all the age groups that made me start thinking on my readings. Later weekend my parents shopping day made me to go with them as I missed my day earlier due to project.

The night before our shopping day when I put my list for formulating budget my parents were surprised as the list contained only books and that to that the titles/authors not familiar to my parents. They asked curiously “are you sure you don’t want your usual stuff that normally you crib for”, I got the meaning they don’t want me to crib later for budget for my stuff in the middle of the week. I spoke annoyingly “sure”. As the weeks progressed my library started growing I started pinching my brother’s shopping money as he also started reading my books.
Christmas holidays ……………… “Pari” I heard my brother calling me loudly that made me put a stop to my sentence. “I think we better hurry otherwise my brother will create a scene here” as I started moving towards parking lot. “When are we starting next session? Is it ok we continue after dinner? May be we can skip gossip session to Monday” with suggestive questions Shruti  asked. “I will check with my parents and knock your door after dinner” I told her sitting in car I could see already Rea is sitting and chatting with my parents, today is our turn in car pool (normally we travel in school bus, but during programs we go for car pool unless and until all parents are visiting).
During dinner I told my parents about my plans tonight regarding finishing the interview. “I am sure you couldn’t finish your gossiping during day and now you need extra time to catch up” said my mom winking at me, “mama, call Shruti or Rea and ask if you want, next week on wards we have so many things to do now if we don’t finish interview, editing, uploading takes time” I started protesting, “mama shall I keep watch on these three girls” interrupted my brother, “that’s not necessary, I am sure they know what they are doing, if your work is not done today next time no permission, understood” my dad said. “Thanks dad” I started moving from dining table to call upon Shruti and Rea.
Before school holidays the last working day last class library. No one is in a mood to read “sir do you mind leaving us free today” the entire class asked in a chorus. “How about just talking instead of reading?” asked librarian? “Is talking allowed in the library?” sensing our surprised faces librarian started talking about dos and don’ts in the library how to spend time in holidays etc;

As usual Karan the goody goody boy (we call him Mr. Doubtfire he will have doubts in every class) raised his hand. “How do I start a library in my own community centre sir?” I felt first time he asked a genuine doubt. Librarian started talking about that aspect by the time he stopped bell rand loudly making time to go home and for the starting of holidays, before leaving librarian said “I will post suggestions and reading lists and also certain tips regarding starting a library within your neighborhood on the school site in case you have any queries you can approach me through mail so that I can be of any help, as I may be travelling or attending any other works  during that time normally I don’t use my mobile”. We wished him and started bidding temp-farewell with hugs and shaking hands. After gossip session during night I checked the school site and found usual homework schedule and started downloading and found new posting before closing laptop that belongs to library related posting, curiously I checked the posting true to his words librarian posted what all he discussed with us in the class.

For two days I don’t know how I spent time very quickly may be due to finishing home work and spending time in gossip whatever. Morning I heard someone ringing the bell curious as to who might be ringing the bell so early I opened the door found Agarwals (Rea’s parents) asking for my parents, I called them in and woke up my parents. I went into kitchen to make tea sensing the tensed situation. I could hear their conversation they are supposed to travel immediately as someone in their family passed away and they don’t want to take Rea with them due to her sensitive nature. My parents assured them to take care of Rea and after having tea I could see they relaxed a bit and thanked my parents before departing.

As the day started progressing we started getting bored as my brother went to his coaching classes and parents at work. We started checking our book collection and sat down re-reading and suddenly I asked Rea how about starting a library. Rea gave me a nasty look as if I am half mad. “Are you nuts, no ways I am not going to fall in to this trap”. I told her at least listen to my proposal if you like then I will start my own but I may need help once in a while. Initially she was reluctant but as she is getting bored she asked me about my plan. Quickly I took my lap top and opened the school site and showed her the librarian’s posting. She read quickly and she said “I feel I am not sure whether you can handle this” “then shall we discuss this aspect as to how to make it work” I replied her.  “OK then we will start point by point; can please type them in a word file with the folder ‘Library Project’”
  Each one of us have small collection shall we start a library for each one or we collect
books from each one and put them in a place (We need to seek permission the
committee if we can use the room. We have community recreation room we can ask all
the members those interested in can contribute and write their names on the books
before giving. We will prepare a list of books and put their names on the list. Prepare
the list of guidelines as to how to use the library and put it on the notice board)
2.     Methods of membership (All the community members are entitled membership, if anyone outside community need to pay – we can discuss this after taking suggestions from our Auditor uncle)
3.     How to lend books (We need help from my big brother to help us in making a small software)
4.     Stationary etc., (We need to use the un used note books from the last year collection for time being we can use them)
Now write things to do list.
1.     Talk to all community members of our initiative and request permission for using the community room for library – if they say no we need to start the library from each apartment – we will feed the book titles of each apartment those who agree to be members of contributing for the setting up library, we make list with apartment number so that we know the particular book is in which apartment and we seek help from the owner and lend book from the apartment
2.     Request auditor uncle to help us in matters that deals with money
3.     Need to take help from Abhi to write a program for the collection including book list, searching for a book, to locate book and fine in case anyone is regularly not returning books on time, “do you think Abhi helps us” asked Rea and Shruti in a chorus knowing my brother well, “I have little secrets to blackmail him to make him write a program” I told them. “Why don’t you share with us” they asked, “sorry girls, trade secret, not all secrets are traded, I use them only for getting things done” I replied.

Next couple of day hectic schedule for us as we went around the entire block of our residential complex as well as neighboring blocks asking each family to help us with our endeavor of making a library in the  surroundings. You can guess talking to people is not that easy. We need to explain 101 questions on before they say “yes” or “no”, some of them even of the type who say “what for me”. Finally convincing the Our Residence Association was really difficult – they asked questions like – why you are starting this first of all, intentions behind the idea, what made you come up with the idea to set up a library, in case you receive any donations later in future what you are going to do about that, who is going to deal with the security issues in the building, who is going to take up responsibility of continuing the running of library etc., finally the association suggested to look into legal aspects of our idea in case finances are involved – the association was happy for our initiative though.  

The Residential association explained the association’s inability to provide separate room for our cause keeping in view the space crunch. This made us to sit and discuss the various options. “How about keeping books in one apartment every month?” asked Rea. I said “it’s really difficult to shift every month, and that constantly need worry about the next place to keep and shifting arrangement”. “How about listing the books that are with each one of us and when one searches the list will give you the details of a book and its location including the check out status as well” Abhi was in his IT guy way. “Do you think that’s possible?” asked Rea. “Dumbo I checked this on the British Library catalogue, I think open source software for small libraries checking the source code I can write a program for us as well” How does it work?” I am still confused with IT language of my brother. “First we prepare list of all the books in each building using the following columns

Author
Title
Publisher
Publishing year
No of pages
Price
Appropriate for the Age group
Subject (fiction, non-fiction)
Location of the book
Cover page of the book with review

in each member’s library then we will create the following tables as well
Users List
Member’s details:
Name
Date of Birth
Gender
Address
Photo of the member

Issue Table
Author
Title
Location (Owner of the book details)
Status
Issued (if borrowed) with details of borrower
Shelf (Owner of the book details)

"I think we need to take a break” my brother insisted before closing the laptop. By the end of the day three of us could work out solutions after a long session. By the time my parents returned they were surprised to see us working without a fight. As usual at dinner my parents asked about the day for the first time both of them relived to see the siblings talk about a project that is mutually agreeable one. Rea’s contribution in the project and also as the vacation has some meaning this time my parents allowed us to stretch   bedtime for late hours. I sent my project details to librarian and asked him to give feed back before saying good night.

Next morning after routine works I checked my mail I could find librarian’s reply with encouraging comments. Along with Rea I sat on my working table waiting for my brother to return from his practice to discuss the next action plan. Once he settled down I spoke to him about librarian’s feedback,  “I will write a program and feed some dummy data and see how it works one testing is done we can start working on the regular data” my brother gave his idea “I need time till evening” finally started moving towards his room. “I think we need to spend the day with our gossip session as he won’t allow any one disturbing him during his working time” I told Rea while moving towards my room the whole day we spent on checking mails, FB catching up with friends.  

After relaxing with evening chai my brother showed us his program and explained how it works and said “if we need to add more this allows us, but we need to stop the regular work for some time and update the program.

I have couple of questions Rea said “shoot“my brother said with I can answer expression. “Regarding back up and also if one needs to have history of borrowed items of each member can we add in this right now” Rea expressed her doubts. “With a click of mouse back up can be done, regarding history of issued items we can keep and view them as and when necessary”. He looked at me for more questions “What about security, administrator role and can we reserve a book and inform the person if the book is available, can we send a reminder to return the book if it’s over due  or if anyone on wants to borrow the book that’s with any other user”, I asked. “Leave administrator and security work to me, regarding other queries we can accommodate in my program everything that you asked for.”

We started uploading data and by the time we have done our part I was tired. “Let’s take some break and go for a walk” I suggested and three of us walked out of the building for fresh air. After that my brother sat and finished his job and we tried testing the program for us we didn’t get any problems. Rea said “I think we need to send to you a outside party to check the program” “how about sending it to Librarian” I said after everyone agreed I sent a mail with attachment the program. Dinner table discussion, gossip etc., brought the day to an end.
Next day after routine works in the morning I started checking the mail surprisingly there was a reply from Librarian with his feedback.  Once my brother returned from his practice I shared with him. “Now it’s time to share with everyone the project we are going to start” I said loudly.
Evening three of us sat once again to discuss the modus operandi of our project. We need to explain how our project starts and explain the library program and ask them to give us the data regarding books. Next is how to lend / borrow books suitable time during regular days it should be evening one hour and weekends for 2-3 hours if one is going for vacation or holiday the members need to be informed of this change in schedule and rules and regulations of usage also need to be announced.
Evening three of us starting going around all the apartments and shared our ideas some of them agreed to be part of project. Our task was to explain how the project works and other details as to how we work. We asked the members who agreed to be part of the project to send us the data in case they have problem they need to ask us so that we can provide help.
Some of the members are very curious regarding the project. Good readers like my neighbors got lots of queries – like they asked us about various parts of book namely., title, author, ISBN, copy rights etc., I felt at least the library classes are handy in handling these queries, for some queries I had to send mail to librarian.  
Finally the end of vacation we could start the project with 3 members joining the project. My parents were happy to us working without nagging for holidaying as normally used to during vacation. As a deal we got more books to our library this vacation.
Librarian suggested readings which helped us in making our project more widely accepted. More readers started coming to us to join the project but the number of books were still less.
Weekends we started taking up activities related to books and awareness of reading and about books namely books log (this is how you track how many books you read) book report, book talk etc.  Probably this made other started asking for membership. Parents are happy as kids started using their spare time talking about books.
Word started spreading as it happens in many apartments particularly during social gatherings like kitty parties where mothers talk about their kids, this time mothers started talking about the project that we have initiated. Slowly neighborhood parents approached us for suggestions. 
We spoke to the residence association committee we have two options either we let others join us but with separate timings so as to avoid in convenience to the building residents or we help them in start their own libraries. Whoever approached us first we give orientation to our project and we let them chose option. Depending up on their option we helped them enjoy the reading experience.
As the time progressed we got lots of readers showing interest in the project. Adults also started showing interest. As most of the residents in our community are job holders we sat with parents and tried library for adults mostly with self-help, easy reading fiction and magazines.
We are happy with our project and time and again there are requests to make it more interesting and so we started taking up activities mostly in the evenings or weekends or during vacation time. We started taking up activities on special days – World Book and Copyright Day (also known as International Day of the Book or World Book Days), 23rd  April, National Librarians’ Day in India  12th August, International Literacy Day September 8, International School Library Day on Fourth Monday in October each year and National Library Week (India) 14-20 November.

Activities that we introduced – book talk, book review, chart making, book mark making and we also started a reading club and those who are interested in sharing the readings will join ever week and talk about the books that one read.   
We expanded our project to our neighborhood as well and many parents shared their joy for out initiative. As the talk about our project went around appreciations started pouring in many NGOs approached us in helping them to set up library or taking up activities for them.
One fine morning as the school is busy with schedules, the peon came with a slip the teacher announced “Pari, principal wants to see you in her cabin” I am really struck thinking of what I have done in the day or week that made her call me, sympathetic looks started observing me while exited.
By the time I went Principal’s office I am relieved to see two other members waiting for princi’s call. As we ushered into office I saw princi’s face with big ‘close-up ad’ smile. She congratulated us for our efforts and finally she said school is going to mention and appreciate our efforts during the school function, she called us to inform the same.
As we returned home in the evening we didn’t disclose the matter to parents. Late evening there was a call to parents, as usual they were surprised to get a call from school office at such late hour. Both my parents were looking at us “what’s the matter” expression, as the discussion on the phone went on I could see smile taking its shape on my dad’s face.

My mother couldn’t take the silence on the matter want to listen to the secret of smiles on our faces. Till late night the discussion continued on princi’s call home. “That’s the end of the story till now” I took my deep breath saying good night to Shruti. 

2 comments:

Suhasini Srihari said...

Beautiful "initiative". And, really engaging write-up I must say!

Arun said...

Thank you. Starting one more that is in my head for quite long, but in serial manner, soon.