Monday, October 9, 2017

Q & A with Author Chhimi Tenduf-La

Ever since I joined goodreads (GR) and attending various reading groups, meetups my reading habits changed, including the genre. I am reading wide variety of books. I started enjoying my readings and positive outlook that brought into my personality. Reading and listening to authors though remained constant in my life to raise a question, probably due to times I grew up or the way I am educated made me not do so. But during my interaction and reading made me to see the aspect of raising question in new light. While reading bloggers made to take up this as well. GR provided a platform to interact with authors and readers also made me consider the aspect of questions. I was waiting for opportunity and I got one, when I posted review of the book  “Loyal Stalkers” by Chhimi Tenduf-La and author provided me a chance to send him my questions and very soon he replied his answers I thought will post in my blog. Here is the Q & A

Q 1.      Many people talk about “Writer’s block? Does that exist, what one needs to do if block occurs?

Author’s answer:
It hasn’t existed for me before but perhaps it should. Maybe in the past I have not set myself high enough standards and I just went with whatever ideas I had. Now I do not want to start a new book until I have a killer idea, but I am not putting too much pressure on myself. I will read a lot, watch many movies, follow the news and try to get ideas that way. Also, I will listen more to what everyone says because there could be a gem of an idea in there somewhere.

Q. 2.      Does writer need to follow a schedule to write or writing depends on mood?

Author’s answer:
I do a little bit of both. I allocate myself a couple of hours a day to write first thing in the morning and I try to stick to that only because of my family life. Yet, if I am not in the mood I simply don’t write and use that time instead for other things on my to-do lists.

Q.3.      When I was reading, your book 'Loyal Stalkers' stories remain independent and interdependent is it conscious effort? If so is there any reason for that?

Author’s answer:
Yes, it was a conscious effort, because I was hoping to keep the reader’s interest alive from one story to the next. Otherwise, even if someone loves the theme in one story, they may not for the next one but they will, I hope, still want to know what happens in the overall story arch of each character.

Q. 4.      I heard of attention span reducing each year, what measures you take to keep the reader’s attention?
Author’s answer:
This is absolutely true and it happens to me. When I am reading I suddenly get distracted by facebook, youtube and what have you. My books are all fairly short, and I try to get in and out of a story as fast as possible. As a reader, I have never been too interested in over-description because I like to use my own imagination for certain things and I think the same way as a writer.

Q. 5.      Do writer needs to keep literature elements in view while writing?

Author’s answer:
To reach the next level as a writer, I probably should. Yet, up to now I have literally just written what I find fun to write about. I like to test emotions, try to make people laugh and so on. Having said that, with Loyal Stalkers I have tried to give off a number of messages about treating each other better and being more sympathetic.


Q. 6.      What inspires you to write?

Author’s answer:
If I am in the mood, I just love doing it. I feel it takes my mind off other stresses and keeps my mind active. I also like the idea of editing because even if you write something rubbish, you have the chance to try to improve it over and over again.

Q. 7.      How you select a storyline?

Author’s answer:
I have millions of ideas for short stories. Some just pop into my head, others are inspired by true life events. Sometimes, for a short story, I think of a twist and then work backwards. Mostly, though, I just have a very basic idea and start writing and hope for the best. For my next novel, I shall do more planning!


Thanks to author Chhimi Tenduf-La for obliging request to answer my questions.

2 comments:

Suhasini Srihari said...

I am tied up with finishing my dissertation work. I shall read this Q&A post as soon as possible.

Arun said...

No hurry take time