Monday, January 24, 2022

Random thoughts prelude to thoughts on reading - The Book of Dog

 


Prelude thoughts


I met a friend (I am not mentioning the name as the person likes privacy) of mine during a recent visit (the person takes care of street/stray dogs and takes care of the cats)when I entered the house the stray dog tried to woo me to play with her (though I like dogs or pets I am worried due to various reasons I may not be able to give full attention, hence I generally keep away from pets) I didn't fall for her cute charming tricks. Later in the week on social media, I read about the book an anthology - The Book of Dog edited by  Hemali Sodhi, I liked the aspect of the sales proceeds to be given to various organizations as a part of encouragement doing my bit at the same time to buy from the indie bookstore I ordered the book. Initially, I started reading one story at a time after 2-3 stories I couldn't keep the book away and completed the book in one night. I just finished reading the book "Qabar" by KR Meera (English version) where the protagonist's mother leaves home to take care of the stray dogs.

About Book 

This anthology consists of 45 pieces by prominent people about their dogs/pets (if permitted to use as many may not like to use these terms) to name a few (the names that I am familiar with) - Shobhaa De, Jerry Pinto, Gulzar Rajdeep Sardesai, Anita Nair, Paro Anand, Maneka Gandhi, Ruskin Bond, Mark Tully, Devdutt Pattanaik. The pieces that include poetry, prose, and satire, in first person, third person, or from the voice of dogs make the reader go through emotions - smile, laugh, cry, or empathetic to the writer and mostly fall in love with wonderful being called the dog. The relationship between humans and dogs is a question that always remains with me ponder into as many of my friends are dog lovers and owned a dog as well (I know some of them cried for several days when their beloved dog left them to the other world).
I enjoyed reading....... and writing about the book as well.

HAPPY READING ..... woof, wow..... wow.....

2 comments:

Suhasini Srihari said...

Nice write-up, and thank you for sending the book to me! I enjoyed reading it!

Arun said...

Thank you for reading the post.