Tuesday, March 15, 2022

I am back with my smile


While reading the book Atomic Habits by James Clear, I was trying to connect the dots from my reading of the book related to my life including various experiences. During this time I read a tweet of a friend on smiles. Which triggered me to the thoughts around book and more so on "smile".

The book talks about habits and how one can cultivate good habits slowly that may not give immediate results but lang a lasting impact. At the same time how to get rid of bad habits. 

Reading at the age of 13 started for me as I got books as a prize for excelling in academics (my school to my knowledge conducted a function the first time, that also coincided probably with the 125th year of school establishment).  Most of the books are classics and I read and enjoyed them. Due to various reasons reading became a solace to live in an imaginary world to forget surroundings. Till then my smile that was appreciated, started vanishing from my face I didn't realize. Reading became my priority, later as I moved into higher studies, reading for pleasure or to gain knowledge remained with me though I didn't realize it. I participated in extracurricular activities acting in plays making others laugh without a smile on my face, I felt when I see the pictures. 

During the lockdown, I realized due to more time to introspect, how many things hinted at many times (I call these incidents dots). When I sat to connect the dots that hinted at reading and smiles. Reading remained with me and I felt strongly that no matter what I am not going to leave reading and I started reading a wider genre. I am reaping the results when many people talk about my suggestions or how I motivate people or for that matter, there is an immense change in my behavior or body language that people say that I am an approachable person. 

Let me talk about smiles. During one of the interviews  (I am ashamed now when I recollect this incident)  I was in a bad mood and didn't answer positively but I heard an interviewer talking about the smile outside the room and with a positive outlook and should be given a chance. Once I went to a bookshop I generally visit again I was in a bad mood due to the stacking of many incidents of the day and the cashier while billing gave a compliment about my smile. During one trip to Mysore, I got done my sketch by an artist many acquaintances and friends told me that I am looking serious but I gave them a reason probably artist gave my original mood or state of mind. I got framed the picture and look at it, then I realized where is my smile? To nail, recently when I went out for a dinner with like-minded persons the guest gave a compliment about the smile? Before going to bed I connected all dots and in these years how the universe conspired to bring all my wishes to come true, why then do I forget about my smile? Now I am smiling more often (of course if there is a reason to do so). 


No comments: